Place Advisor is a geographic sleuthing tool created with genealogy in mind. It will enrich your understanding of your heritage and of the lives of your ancestors. Through links to online reference materials, Place Advisor can point you to summary histories, primary data sources, and even to names in your family tree.
Place Advisor is based on a set of web services that are freely available to the general public. It is hosted by geditcom.com. Continued development will depend on sponosorship contributions. Registered users of GEDitCOM II can access Place Advisor in a GEDitCOM II window, giving you extra search and copy options. All others can view Place Advisor in their web browser on their Macintosh, PC, and even iPads. For viewing in a browser, we recommend using Safari or Chrome. Firefox works, with a few minor issues. Internet Explorer does not work.
Place Advisor's world atlas has detailed data for Europe, North America, and Australia/New Zealand — down to the level of individual towns and often to districts or neighborhoods within a town. Asia and Africa often have less information available in digital form and in languages mastered by the geditcom.com staff. Data is most detailed and best organized where the geditcom.com staff has personal knowledge or has benefited from the graces of individuals who do have first-hand knowledge. The data will develop over time depending on user input and sponsorship.
There are four ways to locate places related to your family tree:
Once you have selected a Place, various categories of information are available to you (for many but not all places). You will see:
- The full hierarchical name of the place.
- Summary comments of genealogical interest.
- A list of pertinent URLs.
- A list of events or attributes that have been noted and are relevant to the life of its inhabitants over time.
- The GPS coordinates of the "bounding box" large enough to contain the entire place.
- A map displaying the place, its neighbors, points of genealogical interest, and a rectangle representing the bounding box. Mousing over the neighbor icons will show you their name. Clicking on points of interest will show you its name, and, if available, a URL. You can show or hide neighbor and/or point of interest icons by checking the boxes above the map.
- Clicking on a map will display the latitude and longitude coordinates and pertinent place name hierarchies for that click location. This information is displayed to the left of the map.
Below the map may be additional information about the place such as alternate names for the place (whether colloquial, in other languages, or with alternate spellings) and a description of the place forms.
When running GEDitCOM II genealogy application, you can open Place Advisor in a GEDitCOM II window. In addition to all the features available via a standard web browser, the window's tool bar provides additional features:
Place Advisor is hosted by geditcom.com and is free to all genealogists. Our goal is for continuous improvement to the data and the presentation, but the amount that is possible will depend on your sponsorships. If you would like to be a sponsor, follow the steps in the following block:
|Click the "Donate" button. You will be directed to a PayPal page. Enter any amount in the field for sponsorship amount. To pay using a credit card, click the "Continue" link near the credit card images. If you have a PayPal account, you can pay with that by entering your PayPal username and and password in log-in box.|
We would also like feedback. Place Advisor is most developed for places where we have personal knowledge or for places where users have contributed. We'd appreciate feedback by email on any place of interest to you.